>> 2014 NRPA Congress
2014 Gold Medal Finalists Announced
The American Academy for Park and Recreation Administration (AAPRA), in partnership with NRPA, are pleased to announce the finalists for the 2014 National Gold Medal Awards for Excellence in Park and Recreation Management. This year’s proud sponsor of the Gold Medal Awards program is Musco Lighting LLC.
Since 1965, the Gold Medal Awards program has been a testament to the hard work and dedication of a community as it strives to meet the needs of diverse populations. The Gold Medal is a comprehensive award that looks at the challenges and resources of an agency and how it meets those challenges.
On being named a Gold Medal Finalist, Mesa, Arizona’s Parks, Recreation and Commercial Facilities Director Marc Heirshberg said, “Thank you so much for delivering this great news! I was sitting in a city council meeting when your email came through and almost jumped through the ceiling with excitement. We are truly humbled and honored to be recognized as a finalist for the National Gold Medal Award and look forward to celebrating with the other finalists in Charlotte!”
Excitement is building as the 24 Gold Medal finalists prepare for Round Two of competition. Finalist awards will be presented and Grand Plaque recipients will be announced live during NRPA’s annual Congress in Charlotte, North Carolina, October 14–16.
Please join us in congratulating the 2014 Gold Medal finalists:
Class I (population 400,001 and over)
- Chicago Park District, Illinois
- Gwinnett County Parks and Recreation, Georgia
- Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission
- Mesa Parks, Recreation and Commercial Facilities, Arizona
Class II (population 150,001–400,000)
- Arlington Parks and Recreation, Texas
- Bakersfield Recreation and Parks Department, California
- Henderson Public Works, Parks and Recreation, Nevada
- Plano Parks and Recreation Department, Texas
Class III (population 75,001–150,000)
- Allen Parks and Recreation, Texas
- Carmel Clay Parks and Recreation, Indiana
- Roswell Recreation, Parks, Historic and Cultural Affairs, Georgia
- St. George Leisure Services Department, Utah
Class IV (population 30,001–75,000)
- Carol Stream Park District, Illinois
- Eau Claire Parks, Recreation and Forestry, Wisconsin
- Kettering Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts, Ohio
- Willamalane Park and Recreation District, Oregon
Class V (population less than 30,000)
- Frankfort Square Park District, Illinois
- Lafayette Recreation Department, Colorado
- Middleton Public Lands, Recreation and Forestry, Wisconsin
- Oak Brook Park District, Illinois
Armed Forces Recreation
- Fort Carson, Colorado
- Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center, California
- Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida
- Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay, Georgia
Click here for more information on the Gold Medal Awards.
Brenda Beales is NRPA's Awards and Accreditation Manager.